What You'll Need...
*Vaseline/Petroleum Jelly *Hair Color (No Ammonium)
*Towel *2-4 Hair Clips *Your favorite conditioner
*Hair Coloring/Applicator Brush
*Gentle Shampoo w/o Ammonium
*Fine tooth comb to part
*An Assistant/Friend/Family Member! *At least 2 hours
*Timer/Stopwatch/Clock *Creativity =)
1. Generously Oil Scalp, Ears & Hairline with Vaseline/Petroleum Jelly
2. Zig Zag Part Hair from ear to ear (or where ever you want the sections to be) & Secure the portion of hair not being colored in a bun or clip
(Reasoning behind the Zig Zag Part --> A straight line would be too blunt, a zig zag part allows the hair to blend better.)
3. If coloring lighter than natural hair, color from ends to roots. (Because your scalp is warm, it will color faster)
If coloring darker than natural hair, color from roots to ends
If coloring black it doesn’t matter (just apply to the lightest parts of your hair first)
5. Rinse out as much as possible first
6. Then Use Conditioner & Gentle Shampoo to rinse/wash out. If you're coloring red, orange, purple or another bright or unnatural color, definitely use a color-safe shampoo!! (Gentle Shampoo = No Ammonium!) Or else you'll risk dulling the color on the first day!
**If coloring the top half...the easiest
You'll need to wash out the color facing the sink - - This can be done by yourself, but it's good to have someone else making sure that you've washed out all the color, especially at the zig-zag line!
**If coloring the bottom half...a little more difficult
You'll have to put your back to the sink to wash it out - - You'll probably need the assistance from someone to wash out the back for you.
**If coloring both halves/sections two different colors... the most difficult
Assistance is mandatory for success.
1. Apply the lighter color first. ---> 2. Wait 10 min or so. ---> 3. Apply the second color
--> 4. Wait for first color to process & rinse out
--> 5. Apply Conditioner to this section and secure (braid/bun/clip it)
--> 6. Wait for the second color to process & rinse out
--> 7. Apply Conditioner to this section & secure
--> 8. Blow dry both conditioned sections/You can put olive oil on your scalp if you would like
--> 9. Wait for however long you would like your hair to deep condition
-->10. Rinse & Style
Follow my Hair Coloring Tips! ESPECIALLY adding Olive Oil to your color.
It makes a HUGE difference.
*Good Luck*-*Best Wishes*